Attorney Profiles: Joseph J. Bell, Jr.
Joseph J. Bell Jr. founded Bell & Shivas, P.C. in 1993 after years in private practice and service in government and politics. Joe’s legal experience is primarily in the areas of labor and employment law, county and municipal government, civil rights, criminal law, DUI/DWI and tort law.
Joe has a considerable record of service to his community. He began his early career as a school teacher at Barringer High School in Newark. From the beginning of his career, Joe has participated in politics serving as a congressional aide and in various campaigns and volunteer positions. In 1983, while still a law student, Joe was elected to the position of Morris County Clerk. In that time he came up with various initiatives to improve the office, notably, the Ballot for the Blind, which gained national recognition and is now employed by most jurisdictions in the country.
Upon completing his term as County Clerk, Joe began a career in private practice at Dorsey, Pryor and Bell. As a young attorney, Joe began serving as assistant municipal counsel for several municipalities and as a municipal prosecutor. In 1993, he opened his own practice. Since that time, Joe has built his reputation as a highly regarded attorney.
The firm has achieved several key decisions and Joe is undefeated in three appearances before the New Jersey Supreme Court. He is well respected among his peers, and as a result, he has been selected to the list of NJ Super Lawyers.
In his personal time Joe continues to enjoy teaching and has taught classes in Civil Liberties and Local Government as an adjunct professor.
- Warren County Counsel/Warren County Board of Chosen Freeholders, Courthouse, Belvidere, New Jersey, 2002 to Present
- Warren County Pollution Control Financing Authority, Interim General Counsel, 2007
- Municipal Attorney for the Borough of Chatham, 2008 to 2011
- Municipal Attorney for the Township of East Hanover, 2004 to 2007
- Municipal Attorney for the Borough of Florham Park, 1997 to Present
- Municipal Attorney for the Borough of Mt. Arlington, 1999 to 2007
- Labor Counsel for the Morris County Park Commission, 1995 to Present
- Labor Counsel for the Township of Stillwater, 1997 to 2002
- Public Defender, Township of Boonton, Township of Randolph, 2004
- Legislative Aide, Assemblyman Rick Merkt
- Assistant Morris County Counsel/Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders, Courthouse, Morristown, New Jersey 1998 to 2002
- Member District X, Morris County Ethics Committee, 1995 to 2000
- Municipal Attorney for the Township of Blairstown, 1992 to 1995
- Municipal Attorney for the Town of Dover, 1994 to 1998
- Municipal Attorney for the Township of Mine Hill, 1992 to 2000
- Labor Counsel for the Township of East Hanover, 1993 to 1994
- Labor Counsel for the Borough of Madison, 1999 to 2001
- Labor Counsel for the Township of Mt. Olive, 1990 to 2002
- Former Municipal Prosecutor
— Town of Dover
— Township of Randolph
— Township of Roxbury
- Dorsey, Pryor and Bell, 714 Main Street, Boonton, New Jersey, Partner, 1988-1991
— Attorneys for Township of Parsippany-Troy Hills
— Attorneys for Township of Mt. Olive
— Attorneys for Township of Rockaway
— Attorneys for Township of Hanover
- Attorneys for International Local 825 Brotherhood of Operating Engineers, 1990
- Adjunct Professor, County College of Morris, Randolph, New Jersey, 1987-1990
- Elected Morris County Clerk, Hall of Records, Morristown, New Jersey, 1983-1988.
- District Director, Congressman Jim Courter, Morristown, District Office, Morristown, NJ, 1976-1983
- Administrative Officer to the Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders, Court House, Morristown, New Jersey 1969-1976
- Assist with Relief efforts for L’Aquila Earthquake, 2010
- Adjunct Professor, County College of Morris, Randolph, New Jersey 2009 to present
- Appointed to the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Professional and Outside Activities of Judiciary Personnel
- Appointed to New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Employment Model Jury Charges
- Appointed by Senate President to New Jersey State Alcohol Task Force
- Member – Lawyers for Justice in Northern Ireland
- Member of the Board of Trustees, Dover General Hospital and Medical Center, Dover, New Jersey 07801
- National Association of Employment Lawyers
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- New Jersey Institute of Local Government Attorneys
- Member of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America; American Bar Association; Morris County Bar Association; Warren County Bar Association, New Jersey State Bar Association
- 200 Club of Morris County
- Past President, Morris County Municipal Prosecutor’s Association.
- Member of The Center for Italian and Italian American Culture (CIIAC)
- Member, Morris County Bar Association Memorial Committee
- Member National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- American Association of Premier DUI Attorneys
“A Guide to Small Claims” a Booklet designed to assist those filing small claims matters.
“Voters: The Endangered Species, Ways to Improve Voter Participation“,
Seton Hall Legislative Journal, 10 Seton Hall Legislative J. 133 (1986)
Selitto v. Litton Sys.,Inc., 881 F. Supp. 932 (D.N.J. 1994)
In the Matter of Eva Taylor, 158 N.J. 644 (1999)
Roman Check Cashing v. Department of Banking, 169 N.J.105 (2001)
Coyle v. Warren County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 170 N.J. 260 (2002)
Warren County Community College v. Warren County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 350 N.J.Super. 489 (App. Div. 2002); 176 N.J. 432 (2003)
County of Warren and Warren Haven Nursing Home v.Tammy Moon, Appeal No. 002819-03T1 Petition for Certification
In the Matter of Joseph Kent, Department of Public Works, Town of Morristown, Appellate Division A-3218-03T1 (2005)
In the Matter of the Application of Robert L. Taylor, N.J. State Supreme Court, A-30-07
State of New Jersey v. Ninja Wheeler and First Indemnity of America Insurance Company,
Appeal No. A-2736-10T1, Affirmed November 9, 2011
Aire Enterprises Inc. vs. Warren County Docket No.: WRN-L-151-09
John Paff v. Office of the Prosecutor of Warren County, et al.
Email Joseph J. Bell, Jr. at email@example.com
- New York University School of Law, Masters in Law in Labor and Employment, 1991
- Seton Hall Law Center, Newark, N.J. Juris Doctor, 1984
- Montclair State University B.A., 1969
- Admitted to the practice of law in the United States Supreme Court, June 8, 2008
- Admitted to the practice of law in the State of New York, October 25, 2005.
- Admitted to the practice of law in the State of Nebraska, November 12, 2004.
- Admitted to the practice of law in the United States Court of Military Appeals, 1986.
- Admitted to the United States Courts of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1986.
- Admitted to the Supreme Court of New Jersey, January 2, 1986
- Admitted to the practice of law in the State of New Jersey, January 2, 1986