Experience. Trust. Results.
Joseph J. Bell Jr.
- Labor and Employment Law
- County and Municipal Government
- Civil Rights
- Criminal Law
- Tort Law
Joseph J. Bell Jr. found the law firm of the Bell Law Group, P.C. after years in private practice and service in government and politics. Joe's legal experience is primarily in the areas of labor and employment law, county and municipal government, civil rights, criminal law, DUI/DWI and tort law. He earned his Bachelor's degree from Montclair State University, a Juris Doctorate from Seton Hall University School of Law and an L.L.M. in Labor and Employment Law from New York University. Joe is admitted to practice in the State of New Jersey, New York State, the United States Supreme Court, United States Court of Military Appeals, the United State Courts of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the New Jersey Supreme Court and the Federal District Court for the District of New Jersey. He also maintains bar memberships and associations with New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Employment Model Jury Charges, Lawyers for Justice in Northern Ireland, the National Association of Employment Lawyers, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the New Jersey Institute of Government Attorneys, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, American Bar Association, the Morris County Bar Association, the Warren County Bar Association and the New Jersey Bar Association.
Joe has a considerable record of service to his community. He began his early career as a school teacher at Barringer High School in Newark. From the beginning Joe has participated in politics serving as a congressional aide and in various campaigns and volunteer positions. In 1983, while still a law student, Joe was elected to the position of Morris County Clerk. In that time he came up with various initiatives to improve the office. Notably, the Ballot for the Blind, gained national recognition and is now employed by most jurisdictions in the country.
Upon completing his term as County Clerk, Joe began a career in private practice at Dorsey, Pryor and Bell. As a young attorney, Joe began serving as assistant municipal counsel for several municipalities and as a municipal prosecutor. In 1993, he opened his own practice. Since that time, Joe has went on to build his reputation as an excellent attorney.
The firm has several key decisions and Joe is undefeated in three appearances before the New Jersey Supreme Court. He is well respected among his peers, who have selected him for inclusion in the Super Lawyers list.
In his personal time Joe continues to enjoy teaching and has taught classes in Civil Liberties and Local Government as an adjunct professor.
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- LL.M. - 1991
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. - 1984
- Montclair State College
- Bachelor of Arts - 1969
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2008
- New York, 2005
- Nebraska, 2004
- U. S. Court of Military Appeals, 1986
- Supreme Court of New Jersey, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1986
- New Jersey, 1986
- Warren County Board of Chosen Freeholders, Courthouse, Belvidere, New Jersey, Warren County Counsel, 2002
- Warren County Pollution Control Financing Authority, Interim General Counsel, 2007
- Township of East Hanover, Municipal Attorney, 2004 to 2007
- Borough of Florham Park, Municipal Attorney, 1997
- Borough of Mt. Arlington, Municipal Attorney, 1999 to 2007
- Township of Stillwater, Labor Counsel, 1997 to 2002
- Township of Boonton, Township of Randolph, Public Defender, 2004
- Assemblyman Rick Merkt, Legislative Aide
- Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders, Courthouse, Morristown, New Jersey, Assistant Morris County Counsel, 1998 to 2002
- Montefusco, Kesselman, & Bel, Partner, 1991 to 1993
- District X, Morris County, Member, Ethics Committee, 1995 to 2000
- Township of Blairstown, Municipal Attorney, 1992 to 1995
- Town of Dover, Municipal Attorney, 1994 to 1998
- Township of Mine Hill, Municipal Attorney, 1992 to 2000
- Township of East Hanover, Labor Counsel, 1993 to 1994
- Borough of Madison, Labor Counsel, 1999
- Township of Mt. Olive, Labor Counsel, 1990 to 2002
- Town of Dover, Former Municipal Prosecutor
- Township of Randolph, Former Municipal Prosecutor
- Township of Roxbury, Former Municipal Prosecutor
- Dorsey, Pryor and Bell, Partner, 1988 to 1991
- Brotherhood of Operating Engineers, Attorney, 1990
- County College of Morris, Randolph, New Jersey, Ad Junct Professor, 1987 to 1990
- Congressman Jim Courter, Morristown, District Office, Morristown, NJ, District Director, 1976 to 1983
- Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders, Court House, Morristown, New Jersey, Administrative Officer, 1969 to 1976
- Hall of Records, Morristown, New Jersey, Elected Morris County Clerk, 1983 to 1989
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Professional and Outside Activities of Judiciary Personnel, Member
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Employment Model Jury Charges, Member
- New Jersey State Alcohol Task Force, Senate President
- Lawyers for Justice in Northern Ireland, Member
- Dover General Hospital and Medical Center, Dover, New Jersey 07801, Member of the Board of Trustees
- National Association of Employment Lawyers, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Morris County Bar Association, Member
- Warren County Bar Association, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- 200 Club of Morris County, Member
- Morris County Municipal Prosecutor's Association, Past President
- The Center for Italian and Italian American Culture, Member
- Morris County Bar Association Memorial Committee, Member
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Member
- American Association of Premier DUI Attorneys
- New Jersey Institute of Local Government Attorneys
Current Employment Position
- Morris County, County Clerk
- Selitto v. Litton Sys., Inc., , 881 F. Supp. 932 , 1994, D.N.J.
- In the Matter of Eva Taylor, 158 N.J. 644 , 1999
- Roman Check Cashing v. Department of Banking, 169 N.J.105 , 2001
- Coyle v. Warren County Board of Chosen, 170 N.J. 260 , 2002
- Warren County Community College v. Warren County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 350 N.J.Super. 489 , 2002, App. Div.
- Warren County Community College v. Warren County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 176 N.J. 432 , 2003
- County of Warren and Warren Haven Nursing Home v.Tammy Moon
- In the Matter of Joseph Kent, Department of Public Works, Town of Morristown, 2005
- In the Matter of the Application of Robert L. Taylor, N.J. State Supreme Court, A-30-07
- State of New Jersey v. Ninja Wheeler and First Indemnity of America Insurance Company, Appeal No. A-2736-10T1, Affirmed, 2011
- Aire Enterprises Inc. vs. Warren County Docket No.: WRN-L-151-09
- John Paff v. Office of the Prosecutor of Warren County, et al.
- "A Guide to Small Claims"
- "Voters: The Endangered Species, Ways to Improve Voter Participation", Seton Hall Legislative Journal, 10 Seton Hall Legislative J. 133 , 1986
- Project Community Pride Business Award