News From Bell, Shivas & Bell, P.C.
Bell, Shivas & Bell, P.C. handles high-profile cases and frequently appears in the news. The following is a sampling of the appearances we have made and events we have been involved in.
To contact our firm, please call us at 973-442-7900.
The Moore’s Ford Lynching
On the evening of July 25, 1946, a mob of 20 to 30 white men ambushed four African Americans near the Moore’s Ford Bridge linking Walton and Oconee counties, about 50 miles east of Atlanta.
Our firm has been involved in efforts to seek justice on behalf of the victims and surviving family members of this horrible attack, and to hold those responsible accountable, as this is considered to be America’s last unsolved mass murder.
We must never forget what happened on that fateful night in 1946.
Find out more about the case, and check back for updates.
Ann Grossi Kickoff Event
Morris County Clerk Ann F. Grossi, Esq., will launch her campaign kickoff event on Mon., Feb. 12, 2018, at 7 pm. The event will be held at the Watnong VFW # 3401, 45 Tabor Road, Morris Plains, NJ 07950.
The Host Committee consists of NJ State Senators Thomas H. Kean (District 21), Steven V. Oroho (District 24), Anthony R. Bucco (District 25), Joseph Pennacchio (District 26) and Kristin M. Corrado (District 40).
The Host Committee also consists of Mayors:
- Robert W. Alviene – Borough of Butler
- Bruce A. Harris – Borough of Chatham
- Curt Ritter – Township of Chatham
- Janet Hoven – Borough of Chester
- Thomas W. Andes – Township of Denville
- Ronald F. Francioli – Township of Hanover
- Chris Yates – Township of Harding
- Robert W. Collins – Borough of Kinnelon
- Dr. David A. Runfeldt – Borough of Lincoln Park
- Guy Piserchia – Township of Long Hill
- Neil J. Henry, Jr. – Borough of Mendham
- Sam Morris – Township of Mine Hill
- Richard D. Conklin – Township of Montville
- Frank J. Druetzler – Borough of Morris Plains
- Peter V. Mancuso – Township of Morris
- Michael Stanzilis – Borough of Mount Arlington
- Rob Greenbaum – Township of Mount Olive
- Joseph Nametko – Borough of Netcong
- Catherine Winterfield – Township of Pequannock
- Mark Forstenhausler – Township of Randolph
- Paul M Carelli – Borough of Riverdale
- Russell Greuter – Borough of Rockaway
- Michael Dachisen – Township of Rockaway
- Mark Crowley – Township of Roxbury
- William J. Chegwidden – Borough of Wharton
Margit G. Novak v. County of Warren
Paula Ortega, Esq.
Appellate Division Docket No. A-1531-16T3
The Plaintiff filed an inverse condemnation action against our client, the County of Warren, claiming that the County of Warren regulated her property into in-utility by not approving her driveway permit application fifteen years after subdivision approval.
The action was filed about twenty-five years after the initial subdivision approval. We filed a summary judgment motion to enforce an indemnity agreement that was a condition of the subdivision approval in which Plaintiff agreed that she would indemnify the County against any lawsuit arising out of or from driveway access over and across the neighboring property to the County Route, statute of limitations, failure to exhaust administrative remedies and laches.
We obtained a favorable decision in the trial court granting Warren County summary judgment dismissing the Plaintiff’s case based upon the indemnity agreement. Plaintiff appealed. The Appellate Division affirmed the decision of the trial court granting summary judgment and finding in favor of our client, the County of Warren.
Bell, Shivas & Bell, P.C. Supports Operation Give Back
ROCKAWAY, NJ — Bell, Shivas & Bell, P.C., is a proud participant in Operation Give Back, sponsored by the Morris County Clerk’s Office, through which we provide discounts on legal services to Morris County veterans who have a County ID Card. The program was created by the Morris County Clerk’s office to thank our veterans for their service to our nation. All Morris County business owners may participate in this program by providing their business name, location and type of discount. The information will be added to a discount directory and made available on our website. Please note: There is also a booklet (available for download) that is distributed to veterans’ organizations and other locations throughout the county. Registration details are provided on the Morris County Clerk’s website or business owners may simply click on the link below to fill out the online registration form.